Sincere thanks to all candidates who took time to respond!
Hamilton East candidate responses to follow in the next 24 hours.
The five questions asked to each candidate were:
1. Have you attended much live music in Hamilton in your time? Any favourite memories? Any favourite Hamilton bands/artists?
2. Do you play a musical instrument and/or have you ever played in a band?
3. If elected, are there any things you would assist with, in terms of providing a more supportive infrastructure for nurturing a range of new musical talent in our city? (Radio/venues/practice spaces/recording facilities/grants/other)
4. How do you listen to music these days - ipod/computer/vinyl/CD/cassette/other?
5. What would be your favourite five albums or artists of all time?
1. I use to own a bar in the CBD and was ALWAYS hiring local bands. There is nothing quite like live music and it felt great to be helping young (and some old) musos. I'm afraid I'm an 80's chick and my favourite local Hamilton band was and will always be the Tim Armstrong Band. You might be too young to remember the Lady H in Alexandra St but it was a fantastic music venue. So was the Underground Bar where Nightshade and Blackjack use to play.
2. Far too terrified to play in a band but have a guiter and am a quick learner. Wouldn't exactly call myself a muso but I have always had an afinity with music, just never really done anything with it.
3. Yes I would happily support all of the above and have been and will continue if re-elected to support the delivery of a new theatre for Hamilton.
4. Hmmm cassette, what's that? Ok I know what that is. But all of these actually and radio and TV.
5. Too easy. As I said I'm an 80's chick and Prince's Purple Rain is my all-time absolute fav album. Then it gets a little random. Then Dirty Dancing, Les Miserable, Elvis, Amos Lee and BMTH.
1. Yes. Loads. Helped organise loads of it myself as well, been a door guy, poster guy, radio guy, interviewer guy, videographer, blogger, tweeter, bookface sharer....
Favourite memory would be 2nd Auteur House Ward lane gig? Or one of my Collective shows when we pulled 500 people down to Flow bar? Hmmm, Wizz Kids at Mem Dive?
How about every show at T(h)rash Palace ever? Those kids knew how to rock!
Favourite Hamilton bands and artists are Milk Train, Sora Shima, MSU, St Lucy, Knights of the Dub Table, Cosmic Ska Child, Big Muffin Serious Band, Rumpus Room, Cheshire Grimm,
Wizz Kids, Dick Dynamite and the Doppelgängers, Kaon & Tronic, Arc of Ascent, BLACKTOOTH!, Funky Monkeys, Katchafire, Electric Mayhem, Der Kranks, New Millenium Beatniks, MC Stormtroopa, Logic Defines Logic, Thunderdykes, Trons, The Datsuns, The Lookie Loos, Jeremy Mayall, Emanuel Comer, Joel Comer, Sam Chumz... um I've missed a bunch including some mates but yeah they'll be ok.
2. Bass. Tried for years but was pretty useless at it, we played in garages and once on stage in Napier at the all ages bar 'The State of It'. Quickly realised my skill was not on stage but in promoting gigs and
3. All that stuff. I can pretty proudly say I'm the only candidate in the West Ward who would absolutely pwn at doing all that stuff as half of it I've done before. Nick Johnston would give me a good
run for my money in the East for sure. I'd like to provide funding to the Hum & FreeFM, ensure gig spaces for bands in the CBD, increase bar closing times to 6am and help work with local recording studios and Creative Waikato to find the best solutions for music in HCity. Maybe also some funding for Htown wiki or a similar archival role.
4. Got my massive vinyl collection (thanks mostly to Dad and then Trademe binges) but most of the time its Spotify at home & The Hum when I'm in the car.
5. You bastards! What a question... ok... Nirvana, Pixies, Tool, Dead Kennedys & Velvet Underground.
Martin Gallagher (replied by emailed letter)
Thank you for emailing your set of questions from Hamilton Underground Press I’m a big supporter of the arts in Hamilton, and as you’ve specifically referenced radio, I’d like to talk about my long-term involvement in local, independent radio.
For over 15 years I have been a trustee of ‘AM1206’ then ‘Community Radio Hamilton’ now Free FM, enthusiastically working with the manager and team on moving the station into the new media landscape. I actively engage in planning with our innovative manager Phil Grey and team which has resulted in a strong and important part of the Hamilton arts and culture scene.
Most recently I have been part of a planning process during which the manager expressed an interest in working more closely with some smaller arts sector organisations. As well as Free FM hosting and sponsoring the broadcasting of The Hum 106.7, Hamilton Underground Press and The Volume Collective were mentioned as excellent groups that Free FM could work more closely with.
Again, thank you for this opportunity
Thank you so much for your email and questionnaire.
Look I love music, encouraged our kids to play an instrument or sing in a choir with mixed success. Love live music. Just today listening to live music at the farmers market. But really can't tell you my favourite music. Lots.....Love dancing to music :-)
Thank you for contacting me.
All the best
Q1. Hayley Westenra
Q3. That would take the fun out of it.
Q5. Sarah Brightman.
1. I love the annual Arts Festival at Hamilton Gardens.
2. I am a listener.
3. More busking.
5. Dragon, David Bowie, Debbie Harry (Blondie), Freddie Mercury (Queen), Abba (my wife made me add this).